Thursday, May 10, 2012

A minor hiccup

Contrary to my previous cheerleadery probably-obnoxious posts, this week’s entry is hard to write.

After a weekend eating and drinking things I shouldn’t have, by Monday I felt like poo and was very down on myself for indulging too much. More than that, I was afraid I was losing control of what I had worked so hard to do for the last couple months – that I was slipping back into the unhealthy eating habits I used to have. In addition, my plantar faciitis has been even worse this week, and my carpal tunnel hasn’t gotten any better, so I'd had to modify my workouts even more to avoid further injury.

And then I stepped on the scale on Monday morning and was not happy at what I saw – I had gained back both pounds I’d lost the week before. Sure, it’s normal to fluctuate a bit, and sure, I am at a particular point in my cycle looks the worst on the scale, but I was still pissed off. I was so pissed off I couldn’t write about it, which is saying a lot for me!

Now that it’s a few days later, and I’ve been back on the healthy food and (modified) exercise plan, I’m finally making myself write this. I am still a bit concerned that I couldn’t hold to the plan like I wanted to, but that is being evened out by my much better choices this week (I even passed up free candy bars!).

One other thing I’m pretty happy about is what I did after seeing that scale number. My previous M.O. was to see the number, get frustrated, whisper “fuck you, scale” while glaring at it, and go back to slothing around and eating whatever I wanted.

THIS TIME, I saw the number, got frustrated, said “fuck you, scale,” and WENT BACK ON THE FREAKING PLAN.

As you might surmise from my excessive use of cap lock, this is a big deal for me.

I’m still apprehensive about measuring and weighing in this weekend, but I won't let that stop me from making better choices.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch- sorry you are in so much pain. I get bad too, when I'm sore and can't exercise. It makes me want to eat naughty foods, which exercise helps me avoid. It's overall really tough.

    Good for you for standing by your plan. I'm very proud! I'm not going to follow your plan, but I do need to make some changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, it sucks. SUCKS! I am struggling this week and having a really hard time controlling my impulses. But one of the biggest things I have learned is that there will ALWAYS be bad days or weeks. We just have to accept it and move on. Also, you never know, a few weeks ago I showed a 2 lb gain, and felt it didn't make total sense. Next week, a 2.2 lb loss... WEIRD. And probably related to my cycle as well.

    ReplyDelete